The first exploration well on the Pinedale anticline structure was drilled in 1939. Limited exploration activity followed until 1995 when nearby Jonah Field was discovered causing renewed leasing activity in the Pinedale anticline area. Successful commercial wells were developed in 1997 and Pinedale Field has been actively developed ever since.
An important milestone for Pinedale Field development occured in 2008 with the issuance of the Pinedale Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement Record of Decision (ROD) by the Bureau of Land Management. The ROD allows for year round development activity and enables operators to execute on concentrated drilling and completion programs using simultaneous operations pads (SIMOPS pads) which in turn generates operational efficiences and has accelerated development of the field.
Vertical well density allowances in both the Warbonnet and Mesa productive areas are approved to 5-acre well spacing and Pinedale has a large inventory of undeveloped in-fill locations on its acreage.